I am a big fan of both Sibelius and Finale and have done reviews on them here at MusicEdMagic in the past. I recently received word that the newest version of Finale, Finale 2009 , is being released tomorrow, July 17th, 2008. According to the press releases there are some nice sounding improvements to MakeMusic's flagship music notation software package, namely things like easier entry of expressions by simply dragging and dropping them into the score,several different playback enhancements to the sound library, and my personal favorite, easier creation of SmartMusic accompaniment files from ensemble scores!
The SmartMusic accompaniment creation thing was always a thorn in my side when dealing with multiple parts. In Finale 2008 it always seemed like I could never get it to work right and when it did work right it was way too complicated to get individual parts looking and sounding correct. I'm looking forward to doing a review of the new Finale 2009 later this week and will post it as soon as possible for everyone to see.
At the time of this blog post MakeMusic is offering an upgrade price of $99 while the full academic version (no upgrade) is pre-ordering for $350.00 on Amazon.
I was also sent a message recently detailing a special Finale training session with graduate credit that is still open for enrollment until July 25th. The details of this event are pasted below for anyone that is interested and in the Minnesota USA area:
There are still seats available for both the Beginning and Intermed/Advanced Sessions of the 2008 MINNESOTA SUMMER MUSIC TECHNOLOGY SYMPOSIUM which will be held at the Perpich Center in Golden Valley, MN on August 12-15, 2008.
- Learn how to use Finale 2009 and SmartMusic 10.2. Sessions designed specifically for music educators.
- Basic computer skills required.
- “Hands-on” sequential step-by-step instruction in MAC lab setting.
- The cost for each session is $150. Choose your level or attend both.
- Optional CEU or 1 graduate semester credit is available for each session through Hamline University. Both sessions may be taken sequentially for a total of 2 semester credits. College credit requires a separate and additional payment of $115 per credit to Hamline and is due on the first day of class.
The registration deadline for the workshops is FRIDAY, JULY 25, so please send in your registration ASAP to be guaranteed a seat. ATTACHED is an information flyer/REGISTRATION FORM (PDF).
If you have additional questions, contact Mavis Kallestad at workshops @makemusic.com or 952-475-2894.